Hello dear friends! Today I realized that I had too many apples and I was craving a cup of chai. I’m sure y’all can tell where my mind went to next! Apple CHAI muffins of course! I tried to make these little suckers as healthy as possible because Y’ALL summer is around the corner. These muffins are healthy(ish), beautifully spiced, and VEGAN. Plus you get the added bonus of being able to say you ate a fruit today. All you gotta do now is mix all the ingredients together and pop these bad boys in the oven. GO CHECK ‘EM OUT!
PS: I’ve included the recipe for chai masala below that I was “loaned” from my favorite aunty in the world. She wishes not to be named but she is amazing and y’all should definitely try her recipe out!!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chai masala (recipe below)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup neutral oil
- 2 medium apples shredded (I used GALA)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional and can be substituted for any nuts/seeds/dried fruits of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Shred the apples.
- Combine the flour, sugar, chai masala, cinnamon, baking soda, pinch of salt and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the oil, almond milk, and vanilla and stir until well combined.
- Add the shredded apples and chia seeds (optional) and mix well.
- Pour into a well-greased baking sheet or muffin tin. Makes about 1 dozen muffins.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Rest for 15 minutes and enjoy!
Aunty’s Chai Masala Recipe
Chai masala is a seasoning blend that is used to make Indian chai along with black tea leaves, milk, and sugar. Many people have their own recipes and ratios however, this one is our favorite and makes about 2 tablespoon of the chai masala!
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon black pepper seed
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- pinch of cloves
- pinch of nutmeg
- Stir all of the spices together to combine well!
- Store in an airtight container.