Hello friends! Today I am posting a recipe for Gajar Ka Halwa which is one of our family’s favorite desserts. We like to think it’s a “healthy” dessert because it’s made of carrots but who are we kidding. In the Kapoor household this dish is always requested when we have gatherings with our family and friends and everyone RAVES about it. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
- 6 Medium-sized carrots shredded
- 1.5 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 oz khoa (can also be called concentrated milk solid or mawa)
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- Almonds or nuts of your choice for garnish
- Place the shredded carrots and milk in saucepan on a medium flame.
- Cook the mixture uncovered until most of the milk has evaporated. This takes about 20 minutes the mixture should be fairly dry. Ensure you are stirring the mixture every now and then so the mixture doesn’t burn on the bottom.
- Add sugar to the mixture and cook it for 15 minutes. Remember to stir frequently to prevent any burning of the halwa. During the time it takes to cook the carrot mixture cut the khoa into small cubes.
- After you have cooked the mixture add khoa and cook on low till the mixture is dry.
- Add ghee to the carrot mixture.
- Cook the mixture for 3-4 more minutes to incorporate the ghee into the mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into a serving dish and garnish with your choice of dried fruit.
- Enjoy the halwa hot or with a scoop of ice cream. 🙂