Hello friends! Hope y’all are doing well! Today we bring to you a quick and dirty crock-pot recipe for KHEER! Kheer is a lightly spiced rice pudding that’s very popular in South Asia. For this recipe all you have to do is dump the ingredients into your crock-pot and in a short time you’ll have an amazing dessert. It’s a quick, creamy, and delicious treat. Hope y’all love it! This recipe makes enough kheer for 4 whole servings 🙂
- 1 tbsp ghee (unsalted butter would work but ghee is preferred for authenticity)
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 pinch saffron (7-8 strands)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk (this is *KEY*)
- 2/3 cup rice
- 2/3 cup sugar (if you aren’t a sugar junkie like we are you can cut this to 1/2 cup or to taste)
- 2 tbsps crushed pistachios
- Turn your crock-pot (I use a 4.5 qt ) on to high and put the ghee into the pot.
- Once the ghee has melted, toast the cardamom and saffron in the ghee until you smell the fragrance.
- Dump the milk, evaporated milk,rice, and sugar into the crock-pot. If your crock-pot has a timer set it to 1.5 hours.
- Stir the kheer every 20-30 minutes. The kheer will be ready in 1.5 hours -2 hours (when the rice is cooked) on HIGH. (If you prefer to cook the Kheer on low, it should take about 3 hours).
- After the kheer is ready, it is ready to be enjoyed warm or you can refrigerate it overnight for cold kheer (PRO TIP: cold KHEER is the way to go).
- Garnish with crushed pistachios before serving.