Hello friends!! This past weekend I went apple picking as y’all probably could tell by my apple pie filling recipe 😉 All I could think about when I was picking all those apples was these would make amazing apple fritters!! I’ve always been really daunted by making food with yeast, but friends when I tell you that these are simple I MEAN it. I promise. I wouldn’t be making them otherwise. They’re also a bit too easy to eat haha! Hope y’all enjoy 🙂 This recipe makes about 20 small-medium apple fritters!
- 3/4 cup milk (2% or whole milk or any non-dairy milk would work best)
- 1 tspn yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp melted butter or ghee
- 4 cups of vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup additional all-purpose flour to roll out the donuts
- 1- 1.5 cup apple pie filling (canned or you can use the recipe on my blog!)
- 2 cups confectioners (or powdered) sugar
- 1/2 tspn vanilla extract
- 4 tbspns milk (2% or whole milk or any non-dairy milk would work best)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Warm milk for 25 seconds in the microwave (make sure milk is warm not hot otherwise the yeast will die).
- Add in sugar and yeast to the warmed milk. Stir to combine and let the mixture sit for 10 minutes to activate or bloom the yeast.
- Mix the flour and yeast mixture together.
- Knead the dough until it is well combined.
- Knead the butter or ghee in until the dough is well combined and in a ball form.
- Let the dough rest covered for 1.5 hour in a warm place. (I kept my dough outside in the sun 🙂 ). The dough should be doubled in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, we are ready to go! Heat your vegetable oil in a fryer or a medium sized sauce pan on a medium flame.
- Generously flour the area where you will roll out the dough. Take out the dough from the bowl and roll it out to about an 8×8 shape (any shape works!).
- Once the dough has been rolled out. Take the apple pie filling and slather it onto the rolled out dough. (I was able to get 1.5 cups into the dough because I love apples however, feel free to cut back to 1 cup).
- Fold the dough back up so that the apples are incorporated into the dough (kind of like a calzone).
- Roll the “calzone” back out. Essentially this step is to make sure that the apples are well incorporated into the dough, if rolling and re-folding is not your thing feel free to mix the apples into your dough and fry these using a tablespoon to measure out the fritters. Cut the dough into 2×2 squares.
- These bad boys are ready to be fried! Make sure the oil is heated to 370 degrees Fahrenheit. Another quick test is to drop a little bit of dough into the fryer and if the dough floats to top the oil is ready. Fry up the fritters!
- Next up we will be making the icing (which is super easy). Just whisk together the powdered/confectioner’s sugar, vanilla extract, milk, and maple syrup.
- By this time the fritters should be cool enough to touch! Generously coat the fritters in the icing. I usually have the icing in a bowl and dunk the fritters in 1 by 1.
- Let the fritters rest for a couple more minutes (till the icing has set).
- Finally enjoy the amazing apple fritters you just made. Yes YOU just made apple fritters. 😉
2 thoughts on “apple Fritters”
they look delicious!!
Thank you for sharing the recipe. It looks amazing. I am a travel blogger. Please give my blog a read too.