Hello friends!! This past weekend I went apple picking because tis’ the season 🙂 All I could think about when I was picking all those apples was all that I could make with them. I was thinking apple pie pizza (similar to the Cici’s one I used to LOVE growing up), apple crumble (ala mode of course), and I was thinking about APPLE FRITTERS (recipe on blog!). And with all of these I realized I’d need some apple pie filling. So I present to you the BEST apple pie filling (I’ve ever made 😉 ). Hope y’all enjoy ala mode of course!
Ingredients: (Makes about 4 cups of filling)
- 3/4 cup room temperature butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup regular sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 tspn cinnamon
- 1/4 tspn pumpkin pie spice (I used my homemade chai masala)
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- 2 tbspns cornstarch
- 6 cups cut apples (about 5-6 medium to small apples)
- Melt the butter and sugars (brown and regular) in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Once the sugar has melted. Add in the maple syrup, apple butter, and whole milk. Stir together to ensure that it’s a homogeneous mixture. This takes a few minutes on medium heat. Remember to stir frequently so that the mixture doesn’t burn.
- Once the mixture has come to a boil and emulsified together add in the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Add in the cornstarch and whisk to ensure there are no clumps and that the mixture is a nice silky liquid.
- Add in the cut apples to the mixture.
- Let the mixture cook down on low-medium heat for 30-40 minutes (with a top on the sauce pan) stirring every few minutes to ensure the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Alternatively, you can pour the mixture into a crock-pot and let the mixture cook for 1.5- 2 hours on low heat (stirring occasionally to ensure no burning).
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature and enjoy!